After all the chat yesterday, we brainstormed a lot of things. I'm still
not satisfied with the final result, but much of it is done. My notes at
this point. Where I marked "FINAL", there shall be no further discussion
(unless changes to those lines are forced to happen because of changes
to the non-final lines). Note: I changed the numbers from those at
https://pad.riseup.net/p/Fo9LxmtDZcua in order to consolidate for this
email. I hope that's not too confusing. I'm basically rejecting anything
from the pad that isn't here.

FINAL 1. "Things like software, music, movies, journalism, and research
*can* be released as public goods."

FINAL 2. "Then, *everyone* may use and share them freely, without
limitations."

FINAL 3. "But who will fund their production?"

tentative 4a. "Our innovative platform empowers you to join with others
to fund the public goods /you/ care about."

tentative 4b. "At Snowdrift.coop, you collaborate with others to build
greater support for public goods."

I'm not happy with either 4, but the meaning I want to say here is:
Snowdrift.coop (or "out platform" or similar subject) is about getting
everyone to collaborate to address question just asked (i.e. to fund
public goods). It's nice to emphasize that the users get to choose, but
not sure that needs to be in 4. The only core thing is THIS (our
platform) is for collaborative funding of public goods. Still need best
wording for that.

tentative 5a. "You do this with a simple pledge to the projects you care
about: 'I'll donate $1 for every 1,000 patrons who pledge with me!' And
you control your overall pledges by setting a monthly budget limit for
the system."

tentative 5b. same as 5a but "a tenth of a cent for every patron…"
instead of the $1 / 1000 version

We had played with phrases like "donate a tiny amount for *each* patron
who supports the same projects" but I'm leaning toward just using
concrete example of the proposed actual pledge amount. That makes it far
easier for people to get the actual pledge instead of us hinting at
something while people wonder what it really is.

As for the budget part, similarly for being concrete, I'd rather go in
the *direction* of stating explicitly what happens. Something like "you
set a monthly budget limit, so a pledge that would go beyond your budget
gets automatically put on hold." Except that brings up all sorts of
questions, so we can't say all that. But I want to at least hint at the
clarity that you don't just hit a per-project budget and then stop
matching (because people who think that and then experience otherwise
will be annoyed with us more than if we give them the right idea from
the get-go).

One bit we had that I like for consideration still: "You choose projects
to support, and make a pledge…"

tentative 6a. "We call this "crowdmatching", and with this system, our
support grows together and is directed towards the most promising projects."

tentative 6b. "This process, which we call *crowdmatching*, builds
consensus and directs support to the most promising projects."

tentative 6c. This *crowdmatching* approach means that all the patrons
of a project reinforce each other, and it naturally builds consensus,
directing our support to the most promising projects."

6c is longer and wordier, but I like the feel and it really draws out
the feel and meaning the right way to me.

FINAL 7. Join us in clearing the path to a free and open future!

Note: We can *maybe* tweak the FINAL lines before the actual production
is done but I don't want to discuss them until all lines are in the same
candidate-for-final state.