The public source code for Firefox has existed for 17+ years (since ~April
1998). We can only assume it will be around for another 10+ years.

I believe you have to take the long view on the cost benefit analysis and
realize that a lot of pain in the short term (e.g. switching styles
entirely) will be a fraction of the cost for tolerating inconsistent styles
for years more. Yes, it will be painful to transition. But for software
with a history measured in decades as opposed to months, being
short-sighted will only burden us with various forms of debt in the years
to come.