On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> The public source code for Firefox has existed for 17+ years (since ~April
> 1998). We can only assume it will be around for another 10+ years.
>
> I believe you have to take the long view on the cost benefit analysis and
> realize that a lot of pain in the short term (e.g. switching styles
> entirely) will be a fraction of the cost for tolerating inconsistent styles
> for years more. Yes, it will be painful to transition. But for software
> with a history measured in decades as opposed to months, being
> short-sighted will only burden us with various forms of debt in the years
> to come.

There are two uses of "consistency" being thrown around.

One is internal consistency within the project (with our style guide), the
other is consistency with Google C++ style (and lack of consistency with
other things, like JS). I don't believe at all that the lack of the latter
is a "burden" or a "debt" that will hamper our ability to effectively
evolve Gecko, and we can get the former much more cheaply. Why make it
harder for ourselves?