On 02.08.2017 14:29, Michael Hoye wrote:

You need to dial this rhetoric back about 100%. It is not acceptable to
bring even an implied accusation like that to a technical discussion, or
indeed any conversation at all, at Mozilla.

Who did I accuse of what exactly ?

All I'd like to say here is that those features add yet another tool
for mass sourveillance.

I've grown up in the GDR regime - I've learned what it means when your
privacy is invaded or you get punished because somebody in your family
or a neighbor said a wrong word.

And we're strongly marching towards the same again, but now with the
oppressors having much better technology, in our bedrooms. It's not
fiction, it's fact - it's already there. Spying phone apps everywhere,
even spying TV sets, remote controllable cards, etc, etc.

Quite recently, the German parliament voted yet another enabling act
for mass sourveillance (eg. wiretapping people just because some
neighbour or colleque *might* possibly have done a tax fraud, etc).
And they did what w/ only a small minority of the representatives
even present (reminds me to 1933).

So, the problem is very immanent. We need to be very careful here,
which information to send out (or even aquire in the first place).
Various fingerprinting techniques already impose a big problem
(IMHO, generic cookies should never have been introduced in the
first place).

We're always happy to listen to honest criticism and walk back our
mistakes, but we are going have those discussions without demeaning the
work or comparing the people doing that work to volkscryptopolitzei
collaborators.

Please. I didn't imply anybody here collaborating with dark forces.
I'm just warning about the danger of these features.

At least these things should be purely optional and providing an
*easy* way to filter that data. (same for the geolocation stuff).

--mtx