Are we still talking about deviceorientation?

It’s used to determine the 3D orientation of the device, so that we can tell
the direction it is facing.  Developers use it to render 3D graphics (WebGL or
CSS3D using perspective DIV) around the user.  e.g., look at one of my project
samples, like https://samples.argonjs.io/directionsWebGL
<https://samples.argonjs.io/directionsWebGL>, which uses device location and
deviceorientation (this simple samples puts 3D labels in the cardinal
directions, and uses the position to illuminate them based on the current sun
location).  The WebVR polyfill uses it to determine viewing direction, to
simulate 3D device orientation.

It’s used for panoramic image viewing (orient the pano with the camera
movement), and google street view uses it for similar motion control.

Regarding security:  perhaps it is, I have seen discussions of this sort.  But,
it would seem that ship sailed when the W3C approved it, and now it’s common
and assumed and relied upon. Removing it in Firefox would render Firefox
incompatible with a growing use of the web, especially mobile (including
Windows tablets).  This might be a discussion the security team wants to have,
I guess:  is the Firefox team worried enough about the threats opened by this
API to justify breaking a large class of applications, and making Firefox
unusable for AR/VR moving forward.