> At least these things should be purely optional and providing an
> *easy* way to filter that data. (same for the geolocation stuff).

FWIW, I wouldn’t mind being involved in a discussion about this, if people want
to seriously consider putting it behind a "user-permission prompt"  (similar to
geolocation) or "user-action requirement” (similar to webvr and some aspects of
mobile video playing) of some sort.

There has been discussion of this issue in the WebVR community, for example,
noting that in WebVR, you don’t get any device reports without a  user action
requesting the “VR”.  But, there is the tension between making the APIs usable,
permission fatigue on the part of users, etc.  On top of that, there is very
likely a need to not just “ask once at the start” but toggle access to
sensitive info on/off as the user uses a web app (e.g., in the experimental
Argon4 “AR-enabled” web browser, we have the ability to toggle location data
on/off at any time without having to reload).

I think as we move toward exposing AR technology (like Tango, ARKit, Windows
Holographic) in web user-agents, we may need to rethink how we obtain and
manage the data user’s give to pages.

I want the web to work well in these new application areas;  but I also want
the characteristics of the web we love (i.e., the ability to feel relatively
safe as you move around and follow links) to survive as well.  I believe that
respecting user privacy and supporting their ability to control information
flow may actually be the thing that makes the web a preferred platform for
AR/VR,  since the various platforms are giving all data to apps automatically,
which create a “take it or leave it” attitude regarding privacy and sensor
information.   This is a major driver for me for how a WebAR api may structured.

Anyway, if folks want to discuss this, let me know.  We should probably move
off this thread?