+1 to trying the release with gradle for 2.5, falling back if it doesn't
work. We'd rather find issues sooner than later.

For newcommers, I don't know that our maven setup was any more
understandable than our gradle one, especially for those not already in the
Java world. I am somewhat split on the being explicit vs. being idiomatic
debate though.

Regarding the source release artifact, I don't think it should have the
poms, right? It should literally be "wget
https://github.com/apache/beam/archive/[release-commit].zip";