+1 to keeping up the regular release cycle, but I don't think it makes
sense to cut until we're ready to actively work on the release. A cut date
two weeks from now seems fine (unless someone else is volunteering to do it
this time around).

That being said, a dry run using gradle now may make a lot of sense, giving
us a couple of weeks to iron out the kinks, if any.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:58 PM Chamikara Jayalath <chamik...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi JB,
>
> Please note that I opened a blocker [1] (working on it) and looks like we
> have several other JIRAs marked for 2.5.0. So +1 for waiting for two weeks
> (or till JIRAs are resolved or moved off the list).
>
> Thanks,
> Cham
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3991
> [2]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20BEAM%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.5.0%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
>
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:28 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <j...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Due to the last work, I think it makes sense to try a release using
>> Gradle. If it doesn't work smoothly, we will rollback to Maven, and
>> maybe in that case, we should ask ourselves if Gradle is really a good
>> alternative for now.
>>
>> I'm in vacation tomorrow morning for 2 weeks. I can cut the release
>> tomorrow end of the morning (my time). But in the case we need some
>> additional PR merges or we have some work in progress, I'm proposing to
>> postpone 2.5.0 release for the end of this month (in two weeks). If
>> someone is volunteer to tackle this release, please, let us know.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 06/04/2018 10:48, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>> > Hi guys,
>> >
>> > Apache Beam 2.4.0 has been released on March 20th.
>> >
>> > According to our cycle of release (roughly 6 weeks), we should think
>> about 2.5.0.
>> >
>> > I'm volunteer to tackle this release.
>> >
>> > I'm proposing the following items:
>> >
>> > 1. We start the Jira triage now, up to Tuesday
>> > 2. I would like to cut the release on Tuesday night (Europe time)
>> > 2bis. I think it's wiser to still use Maven for this release. Do you
>> think we
>> > will be ready to try a release with Gradle ?
>> >
>> > After this release, I would like a discussion about:
>> > 1. Gradle release (if we release 2.5.0 with Maven)
>> > 2. Isolate release cycle per Beam part. I think it would be interesting
>> to have
>> > different release cycle: SDKs, DSLs, Runners, IOs. That's another
>> discussion, I
>> > will start a thread about that.
>> >
>> > Thoughts ?
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > JB
>> >
>>
>

Reply via email to