Matthias,

Matthias Basler wrote:
Von: Bruce D\'Arcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is a little tricky. I think if I have a book review in a
newspaper, then perhaps it ought to be typed as both an Article and
a Review?

Reviews can be issued in different forms, including broadcast on
the radio.

Which makes me think ...

... and as a result I strongly suggest to distinguish the MEDIUM
(FORMAT) and the CONTENT of a document.

We can certainly do that at some level. I don't think, for example, that whether a document is encoded as electronic bits and in HTML should in any way be relevant to its class/type. That can be handled with properties.

But I think the problem here is a) we've got legacy and practical challenges to deal with, and b) in some cases, it's just not easy to disentangle the different concepts. In common language, we blur the concepts all the time. For example, how do we break apart the "content" and "form" of a basic idea like "journal article"?

Examples: - A "book" as a MEDIUM could include different kinds of
content, such as a monograph, articles, reviews, transcripts, a
diploma thesis or a combination of several such things. - On the
other side a book review as CONTENT could come by different media,
such as a book, a journal, a newspaper, radio broadcast, and/or an
internet page.

Mixing these two aspects will likely not result in a consistent
schema.

What I havn't thought about yet is what this implies technically
(i.e. in the bibliographic software and file format).

What we're dealing with right now is the RDF classes. A resource may be typed with one or more of these classes, which facilitates querying and so forth in RDF. It will also be used to map to formatting.

Bruce