On 30-Jul-07 at 10:00 -0400 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> So this is the hierarchy, with my comments:
>
> Collection
>       InternetSite
>       Series
>       Periodical
>               Journal
>               Magazine # we might drop this, or add Newspaper

I'd favour keeping both Magazine and Newspaper, since a citation of
a Magazine or Newspaper article may require different formatting
than, say, an journal article.

Speaking of collections, how would one deal with
Conference/Proceedings volumes? Isn't this a collection as well?

> Document
>       InternetDocument # I'm [not] convinced we need this as a
>       full type

I agree, especially when one considers that in the future a thesis
or a report (or whatever) may be published online exclusively. So I
think that I'd prefer to have a universal property such as
"OnlinePublication" or the like.

>       Article
>       LegalCase # need input from lawyers here; not happy with this
>               Brief
>               Decision
>       Manuscript # I suggest dropping

In any case, there should be a way to explicitly state that a
document is "unpublished". Maybe a property "PublicationStatus" will
do? This would also have the benefit of stating other publication
status types explicitly.

>       Book # do we need a separate class for edited books?

I'm with John McCaskey here. IMHO, edited books don't need a
separate type (it's a book after all), but as John notes, it needs
"a flag saying whether author or editor is primary".

>               Proceeding
>               Booklet # I HATE this vestige from BibTeX; let's cut it

Are there any cases where a booklet (i.e. a printed book w/o a named
publisher or sponsoring institution) is formatted differently than a
book?

>       Manual
>       Legislation # need help here too
>       Patent
>       Report
>               TechnicalReport # is this important?

I'd say a TechnicalReport is just a Report but I may be missing
something obvious.

>       Thesis
>               Dissertation

IMHO, the different types of theses should be indicated via a
property or the like. This is especially since there are more thesis
types than just Dissertation and Master's thesis, e.g. in Germany we
still have Diploma thesis (which is similar but *not* identical to
Master's thesis), and there's a Habilitation thesis. Also, a german
Doctoral thesis is similar but not identical to a Ph.D. thesis. So
I'd rather like to have a property here as well.

>       Transcript
>               Interview
>       Note # maybe it shouldn't be a subclass of Document?

I don't think a note needs to have it's own subclass under Document.
I mean a note is just an unpublished document, isn't it?

But I'd agree with your statement (from another email in this
thread):

> But from the application angle, a note is really different;
> something like a tag in the sense of user-defined annotation of
> bibliographic source (documents).

> The Zotero guys wanted to treat communication as a separate class.
> E.g.
>
> Communication
>       EMail
>       Letter
>       Memo
>       etc.

I like this for the reason you've given in another mail:

> We could say a Communication involves sender/author and recipient;
> often called a PersonalCommunication?

And speaking of Broadcasts (Radio, Television, Podcast), these are
public (i.e. not personal) communication forms with many recipients,
right? But OTOH books (or web sites) would also fit into that
description, so the difference is more about the communication
medium (printed vs. broadcasted).

Anyways, for practical reasons, I like distinguishing resources as
Documents, Communication, and Broadcast.

Matthias