Leonard Mada wrote:

Regarding document type, there are broadly 2 large categories of documents, and therefore I am strongly against some of the droppibngs:

A. Peer-Reviewed Documents
B. NON-Peer-Reviewed Documents

So, you cannot mix everything in the article category, there are really different things:

This is an interesting argument, though I'm not sure I agree with you entirely.

A. Peer-Reviewed
=============
This is basically the article and many more standard documents.

Books are often peer-reviewed also, as are conference presentations (you submit an abstract and can only present if approved by a committee). This suggests it's a property rather than a type.

B. NON-Peer-Reviewed
=================
[Some structure is still needed as I mix medium with document type, too.]
1. Book

As above. Moreover, we often can't know that one book is peer-reviewed and another not without doing some research into the publication process. This is the same for journal article metadata; information about review is typically not available.

2. Periodicals
  2.1.Newspaper article (else like an article)
  2.2. Non-peer reviewed journal article (else like an article) or Magazine

So why not just call this a generic Document?

  2.2'. Exclusively Online Journal (non-peer reviewed)

It's still a Journal, and some of them are peer-reviewed. Indeed, I have done many reviews for one exclusively online journal. Seems easier to just call it a Journal.

3. Internet page (NOT really like an article)

Document. I am talking at the level, BTW, of the RDF model, not necessarily what you see in your application.

[some peer-reviewed articles are published exclusively on the net, BUT those do NOT fit in this category]
4. Letter (true letter)

Which is what; something on paper?

5. Personal communication [includes  phone/ whatever communication]
6. many other types
  6.1 Manuscript
7. Specialized Types
  7.1 Court / Law
  7.2 Patents

QUESTION
=========
Should 'Book'also be split into more categories:
a.) non-peer reviewed book (e.g. a novel, single author, whatever else)
b.) speciality book with an editor => therefore peer-reviewed
c.) anything else NOT easily fitting in the previous 2 categories

I will think more thoroughly about the problem tomorrow. Though, recognising the 2 main categories, aka *peer-reviewed* vs *non peer-reviewed*, is critical because every scientist will put so much different weight into these different types of evidence.

This is where we get to the crux of the matter; how do we encode the metadata in such a way so that we can assess rigor?

On my tenure application, I have to list peer-reviewed vs. non-peer-reviewed publications. But that alone isn't enough to get my tenure approved. I also have to include evidence about the general quality of the journals I publish in.

So I think we can gauge that information by knowing we have an article published in a journal. What is essential is the Journal.

We can also do it with some property if necessary; maybe reusing our status property. See for example:

<http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/repositories/digirep/index/EPrints_Application_Profile#Status>

Bruce