I think that's a good idea. In m1 we are already using the maven.site.stage.address property to publish sites more frequently to our personal pages (eg [1]) and I refer people to this site occasionally. This has the obvious drawback that the 'latest-and-greatest' docs for different plugins are always on different people's pages. I could imagine something like http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/stage-site/ where the whole m1 site is replicated but with more up-to date pages, and the main site only gets updated for releases or documentation bug fixes.

-Lukas

[1] http://people.apache.org/~ltheussl/maven-stage-site/maven-1.x/reference/plugins/

Tim O'Brien wrote:
Having to choose between publishing the latest and greatest docs and only
the released version is a problem that Maven seems to have created for
itself.  Same issue comes up in other projects frequently - Commons has a
problem because some of the sites only publish on a release.  Latest and
greatest are almost never there.

What about publishing the latest and greatest docs to another directory?
The Maven site gets pushed to a directory that has a version of a
label.  http://maven.apache.org/version/1.0
, http://maven.apache.org/version/2.0.2, and
http://maven.apache.org/version/trunk.  This way the Maven site can have a
nightly publish of the most current Maven site to Trunk every single day,
but still keep legacy docs around intact for people using older versions of
the product.  The "consumer" site can point to the latest release, and the
"developer" site can point to "trunk".  The Maven site plugin would need
some mechanism for adding a skin to a site to clearly identify it as
"Development".