On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 01:48 +0100, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> OpenOffice.org currently uses Hunspell.  It's dictionary format is
> compatible with the Myspell used earlier, and very similar to the
> older Aspell and Ispell.  There is a "fa-demo" to download from
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionary
> that contains 332554 words in Persian.  According to the included
> README file, this is the same dictionary as is listed on
> www.aspell.net for GNU Aspell 0.60, maintained by Babak Mahmoudi
> and Edwin Hakopian.

That dictionary is pretty outdated, and in various cases, contains
several wrong spellings, and even wrong words.

>  The included "fa.aff" file is empty.  Perhaps
> affixes are not applicable to Persian?  I have no idea.

Affixes do apply in Persian, but some combinations though are correct by
grammatical logic, are considered wrong because they have never been
used in Persian texts. So auto-generated lists don't work and we should
use a flat wordlist with all non-eligible words excluded.

> For most languages, there is only one dictionary, maintained by a
> single person or a small team, who produces packages adopted for
> each spell checking software.

In Persian, there has been different approaches to in writing and
form of some words has changed quite differently in recent 10 years,
and people out there mostly use their own taste on choosing the
written form. There is The Academy of Persian Language which is
considered the governing body of such problem, and it's been working on
generating a unified wordlist for acceptable words, and there are some
new laws to oblige official documents to use this version, so the thing
to do is to use this list for the spellchecker. My dear friend
Roozbeh Pournader is working on a spellchecker based on Academy list
and checked manually for aspell, and I hope to use that for oo as well.

Thanks,
-mee