Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> > Swedish dictionary (which is from 2003, but almost unchanged since
> > 1997) has 24,489 basic forms and expands to 118,270 variations.
> > This is clearly inferior.
>
> So here you see another problem. If a language has lots of variations of
> a single word, how can you judge that not 12000 of the expanded words
> are based on "useless" words (not in widespread use, hiding typos,...)
> or the other way round: You cannot tell that the important ones are
> present.

What I can tell you is that it is impossible to cover the
important words in Swedish if your expanded list only contains
118,270 words unless they were hand-picked, and I know they are
not.

You seem to be of the opinion that this task is impossible, but it
is not.  I don't have to arrive at complete knowledge, I only have
to outsmart the competition.  So far, Microsoft and other vendors
can say that their product is robust, well researched and based on
science, while the spell checker in OpenOffice is based on wild
guessing and general cluelessness.  The buyer/procurer doesn't
have anything to counter such statements.  All I need is a
sufficiently strong argument to counter whatever Microsoft is
saying.

It's like the two people walking on the savanna of Africa when a
lion comes up behind them.  They start to run, but one of them
says: "it's no idea, we can never outrun the lion".  The other
answers: "I don't have to outrun the lion, I only have to outrun
you."

Now, in fact it isn't Microsoft that's giving OpenOffice a bad
name.  It's the Swedish branch of Sun Microsystems that on their
web pages for StarOffice claim that this product contains a
professional grade Swedish spell checker, while OpenOffice has one
created in web forums that cannot really be trusted.  I do take
offense, and I think this strategy is unwise of Sun, because it
gives them enemies in places where they ought to be looking for
friends.  But I think I can outrun Sun here.  It's they who are
pushing me into this fight.  And we all know the lion.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([EMAIL PROTECTED])