Hi,

yes - I know, I'm the bad guy, but in this case:

What makes graphics design different from programming? Why not do a
crowdfound efford to get feature X in NetBeans?

With my PMC head on I'm not happy with that approach as it won't scale
- when do we endorce a crowdfund efford, what happens if the work is
not merged? Who will do the contract work, that will be required, as
the work must be ours at the end and the author must not retain rights?
What happens when the raised money and the work done/merged does not
match?

So if some outside entity wants to try it ok, but be prepared to fail,
just as a PR is not guaranted to be merged.

Greetings

Matthias