From: Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 4:10 PM
To: dev@netbeans.apache.org
Subject: Status of converting icons to SVG

On 9/9/20 2:02 PM, Matthias Bläsing wrote:
> I still fail to see the difference between repetetive work on the code
> base working on source code and repetetive work on graphics.
>
> I worked for a company where the graphics designers were the only ones
> using mac OS systems.

So did I: I won't repeat the number, but I was told by our systems guys that it
cost an outrageous amount of money for a new guy in that department to sit down
on his first day of work.

> Reasoning was, that their work could only be done on these machines.
> They were special somehow and I still don't grasp it. At that time
> other OSes could run their software and other OSes could be color
> calibrated.
>
> I see this again: Now graphics designers need "their" software to
> work, the one available to all potential contributors is not good
> enough. Now graphics designers need to be paid, contrary to other
> contributors.
>
> I will pull out of this discussion - I said what I had to say and it
> would be great if other people say what they think.

100% agree. If we need to expand the pool of contributors to people who work in
/open source/ design, then let's try and do that. This is Apache, not Adobe.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682) "After the vintage season came the
aftermath -- and Cenbe."