Any way you look at it, recent events will increase the fragmentation of the Java platform.

Oracle just gave away Java EE and Java SE desktop. All they have left is Java SE server-side and, to a great degree they don't get paid for that. Most servers run Linux where they will never see a dime. Java on cell phones got killed for different political and legal reasons.

Java on the browser might pick up by way of WebAssembly, but it will not help Oracle financially.

JetBrains and friends are strongly diversified in web development and alternative languages that run on the Java platform (e.g. Kotlin). The latter don't benefit much from recent JDK releases. Most releases are Java-language-oriented and the platform is already good enough for their needs. If Oracle drops the ball on the platform (even indirectly by reducing the amount of paid employees), I can imagine these alt-languages jumping ship from Java to .NET without a major impact to JetBrains.

Something major will have to change in the next 1-2 years, otherwise we will experience increasing fragmentation of the Java platform. Open-source will actually make matters worse on this front.

So yeah, we got what we asked for (open-sourcing Java) but it wasn't what people had secretly hoped for (strong Java development, for free).

I hope I turn out to be wrong.

Gili

On 2018-03-12 12:20 AM, Wade Chandler wrote:
On Mar 11, 2018, at 7:38 PM, Chuck Davis <cjgun...@gmail.com> wrote:
That white paper says to me jdk11 is the end of the road for JSE at
Oracle.  Without Swing/JavaFX I can't think of a single reason to have JSE
on a computer.
Maybe, but all the more reason for the stewards they mention. One can certainly
run servers and services as Java applications on those systems too. But, yes,
not directly making any money for Oracle. But SMBs can definitely make money
off these things, and if the community wants to keep this stuff going, then
they’ll have to chip in on the bits they care about. This was the main point of
my writing in the first place; to figure out what we can do to support it. I
imagine JetBrains will be involved as well. They are very dependent with their
current products.

The message of the white paper was clear: both Apple and Microsoft own
their platforms and the day is not too distant when both will exclude Java
from running on their platform.  Apple already stopped shipping Java.

“Exclude” seems overkill considering other environments/runtimes exist on both;
Node, Qt, Rust, Go, etc.. .Net even exists on Mac. Them not shipping something
directly is not the same as exclude.

The message is clear:  migrate to .net for windows or swift for mac.  Java
will only be running on Linux in the near future and that market is not big
enough to be attractive to Oracle.  There will be no more cross-platform
Java (or anything else) development.  Browsers will continue to be
available on all platforms -- if you want to play on somebody else's
platform you will abide by their rules.
The browsers everyone is using on those platforms are not written in the
languages you mention, so I don’t see that as the show stopper.

It is a sad day but, admittedly, exclusivity is not a new idea to either
Apple or Microsoft.

What is the remedy?  Make alternatives so attractive IT managers will
CHOOSE to leave either MS or Apple for the alternative.
I don’t see that as a goal of the NB community, and it certainly doesn’t do
anything for all the consumer devices. I do think we can help support desktop
Java since we highly depend on it.

Wade

Wade Chandler
e: cons...@wadechandler.com