If I understood the message of the white paper NB will have to be
distributed through MS and Apple's app stores (I have no idea what the
process for getting their approval or the cost of doing that may be) and
that it will have to be shipped as a containerized application that
includes the jdk. Java (as we know it) will not be running on either
platform.

Java will continue as "multi-platform" but it will most certainly no longer
be cross-platform.  This is as C/C++ is multi-platform but not
cross-platform.

Docker is going over big because it solves some problems.  Shortly, nothing
may be running on any computer except as a container.  And that has huge
implications not only for NB but for every Apache product and lots of other
products (including internally developed business apps).

Oracle is simply responding to the realities of the industry.  We're not
living in the decade of 2000 anymore.  Things have changed.  Oracle is
responding to that change.  Apache is going to have to respond to that
change.  NB is going to have to respond to that change.  The white paper
states strongly that packaging must change.  Jlink is the current packaging
of the future for Java (sounds like it just creates a container but doesn't
say so in so many words).  Will it be possible to package Java as a
container and continue to use it as such??  Who can tell?  The white paper
sounds like Java will only be available if containerized with your
application:  i.e. each Java application will be running a separate
instance of the new modularized jre with only those modules your
application needs.

Jdk11 will be supported for 8 years.  Oracle said they will continue to
develop Swing during those years.  JavaFX has some very nice features I
would expect will bleed into Java/Swing but JavaFX also has some ugly
warts.  Swing has been very good for many years and it sounds like will get
better during the next 8.  If you look at the build dependencies for
OpenJFX it's easy to see why Oracle would not want Java to be dependent on
all those other open source projects over which they have no control --
it's very logical for Oracle to spin off JavaFX and keep it separate from
Java proper.  Gluon is a logical perpetrator for such a mission.  They've
done a pretty good job with SceneBuilder.

Will there be a jdk12, 13, etc?  A lot will change before 2026 when jdk11
support ends.  By then Docker may be a thing of the past, replaced by
latest and greatest.  All the operating systems will be entirely
different.  Many other companies have HUGE investments in Java -- Oracle is
not the Lone Ranger.  Indeed, I believe every major player other than
Microsoft and Apple are at the table of OpenJDK.

The message is clear:  Java will be changing.  How and into what nobody
knows at this point.  The industry is in transition and will never stop
transitioning. Nobody should be blaming Oracle for that.  Will Java die?  I
doubt it.  The alternatives are not attractive (at least to me).  Will it
morph?  Definitely.    Jdk11 will probably be the last Java we would
recognize at this point.  At some point Java will no longer run as Java
even on Linux.

I'm an old geezer who doesn't much care for the changes but the changes
will come.  Security is essential and will drive the changes of the
industry.  Containers address that concern.  Us old geezers get brittle and
a day will come when the next change "breaks the camel's back" as the
saying goes.  We'll drop out but you young bucks will adapt and continue
driving the industry (and Java) forward into a more secure digital world.

I wouldn't say with Geertjan, "It's all good" but it IS probably all
necessary....

Now, as for "web first" that's a discussion for another day!