On 16.02.2013 18:38, janI wrote:
On 16 February 2013 12:35, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 12:09:41PM +0100, janI wrote:
On Feb 16, 2013 11:59 AM, "Ariel Constenla-Haile" <arie...@apache.org>
wrote:
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 10:26:49AM +0100, janI wrote:
1) Text "xyz"   <- [ en-US ] missing, not extracted to current sdf
file
I don't get what you find wrong with these strings without [en-US], nor
what you are trying to do with them.
see the examples I posted please. I think they should be translated, and
they are currently not extracted to the sdf file. because of the missing
en-US.
In general, you are wrong: a string that has no language is marked by
the developer as *not* translatable, so you shouldn't add an [en-US]; of
course, there might be rare cases where the missing default language is
an error, but I guess that in most cases, this is the desired effect.

Examples:

All Math commands in

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/starmath/source/commands.src#31

The first set of strings without language should not be translated.
Adding [en-US] would be a mistake: these are the internal Math commands,
a single change in the string will make OO Math not work!

The context menu defined in

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/starmath/source/commands.src#228
follows the same principle:

- strings not supposed to be localized, don't have [en-US]
- strings that should be localized, have [en-US]

Example:
   Text [ en-US ] = "~Set Operations" ;
but
   Text = "a in A";
shouldn't be translated, even if "in" is an English term.

Another example I know (I wrote this):

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/cui/source/dialogs/about.src#69

Text = "http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html";;

I don't want this string to be translated, that's why it has no [en-US];
that page is not localized.

I would have marked this link as translatable, if the contributors page
had been localized, for example:

en: http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
es: http://www.openoffice.org/es/creditos.html
fr: http://www.openoffice.org/fr/credits.html

The same applies for strings in configuration files: if a prop is of
type "xs:string", the value can be marked as translatable or not
translatable:

<value xml:lang="en-US"> marks the string as translatable

<value> marks the string to be not translatable.

In short, when you find a string without language, and you think it must
be marked as translatable, you should do some research in the source
code, otherwise it will end up breaking stuff (like in the OO Math
example).

thanks for your as usual very comprensive answer. If I may give you a
merit, you are the one who have helped me the most understand how aoo works
internally.

I will use your guidiance, as you write but I must admit I do not
understand the following:

String RID_STR_ACC_ACTION_SELECT
{
     Text = "select";
};

String RID_STR_ACC_NAME_BROWSEBUTTON
{
     Text [ en-US ] = "Browse";
};

 From accibility, why is "browse" to be translated and "select" not, that
does not seem correct ?

I did not look into the code but from the name and values of the strings I would say that the difference is how an AT (assistive technology) tool (like screen reader or braille terminal) handles the strings.

RID_STR_ACC_NAME_BROWSEBUTTON is probably the name of a button and visible on the screen. The AT tool will read it to the user unmodified.

RID_STR_ACC_ACTION_SELECT is an action name, an "internal" value that is interpreted by the AT tool. It has to be machine readable, so to say, and therefore must not be translated.

-Andre

your examples are quite correct, and I would have no doubt there.

have a nice weekend.
Jan I

Regards
--