jan i wrote:
I warned about exactly that, but  I was asked (see JIRAs) to remove the
cats (captcha). If you read the JIRA (which was watched be several in here)
you will see my warning.

The idea was to replace the CAPTCHA with something better, otherwise we can (should) keep the current CAPTCHA and discuss a better solution in the meantime.

The cats cause incompatibilities and other issues, but if they are much more effective than the replacement let's go back to the cats as soon as possible and in the meantime see what's best to replace them (but something MORE effective, not LESS effective!).

Regards,
  Andrea.