I am aligned with Simon and Louis on this.

Part of the reason for knowing who moderators and administrators are is for
transparency.  Civil names (sometimes pseudonyms, such as RGB-ES) could be
used, although (optional?) Apache IDs are very handy too.

Another reason is so if someone goes missing or there is some sort of turnover,
it is possible to easily determine that replacements or additions are required
in order to have adequate coverage.  That is related to sustainability.  One
cannot address sustainability if it is unknown who the incumbents are and where
it is useful to add/train additional contributors.

It is not necessary to supply email addresses, which is apparently the main
concern, especially because some folks use private email addresses that are not
widely-published for some mailings.  (Those who have an Apache ID often do not
use the corresponding email address, even on private lists, and it always makes
determination of binding votes all the more tricky.)

Knowing who is on the PMC and who is the Chair is a different matter and that
is easily found, just as it is easy to determine who are the committers on
Apache OpenOffice.  In all of these cases, the Apache ID is easy to determine
even if it is not listed.

I fail to understand why anonymity is important for any of these list
administration roles, even for private@ and security@.  From my perspective,
visibility comes with taking on those duties, especially since there is unusual
karma involved.  And having it recorded in a public page that is kept current
goes with the importance of having the information current and readily
available.

I definitely agree this is a conversation for dev@.

 - Dennis