-- replying below to --
From: jan i [mailto:j...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2015 06:03
To: dev
Subject: Re: PMC FAQ update

On 6 March 2015 at 14:36, Dave Barton <d...@tasit.net> wrote:

[ ... ]
> OK! One last attempt to clarify and resolve a trivial issue, that has
> become clouded in misunderstanding and mistranslated into some kind of
> "bike-shedding" subject.
>
> It is _NOT_ about anyone WANTING to be recognised, or having their name
> listed somewhere.
>
> It is _NOT_ about limiting the number of moderators and there is no need
> for any existing moderators to step back.
>
> There is _NO_ need to show moderators email addresses, the list owner
> address works perfectly well.
>
> It is _NOT_ important where the information is made available.
>
> The one and only thing I suggested is that we have a simple, easy way
> for any of us to check & ensure that we have adequate list moderator
> coverage.

if that is the only purpose, then it is a lot easier to look at the mail
list configuration files, which are available to any infrastructure or
infra-interest committer of which there are plenty in this project.

All that needs to be done is whenever somebody stops being a moderator
(which happens with a jira ticket) check it there are still sufficient
moderators.

So for that purpose we really do not need an extra list.

<orcmid>
   I say the purpose is for transparency and sustainability in a way that
   these arrangements are visible to our public and interested parties
   without depending on membership in or ceremonies of any priesthood.
      The effort involved in maintenance is out of a commitment to
   provide that without requiring tacit knowledge of infrastructure
   operations or anything else.
      Of course, it would be handy to have documentation on how one adds
   and removes administrators of this kind where newcomers could find it.
   That would be much more involved and it is not being asked for.
</orcmid>

[ ... ]