On Thursday, March 5, 2015, Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/2015 10:26 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> > I am aligned with Simon and Louis on this.
> >
> > Part of the reason for knowing who moderators and administrators are
> > is for transparency.  Civil names (sometimes pseudonyms, such as
> > RGB-ES) could be used, although (optional?) Apache IDs are very handy
> > too.
> >
> > Another reason is so if someone goes missing or there is some sort of
> > turnover, it is possible to easily determine that replacements or
> > additions are required in order to have adequate coverage.  That is
> > related to sustainability.  One cannot address sustainability if it
> > is unknown who the incumbents are and where it is useful to add/train
> > additional contributors.
> >
> > It is not necessary to supply email addresses, which is apparently
> > the main concern, especially because some folks use private email
> > addresses that are not widely-published for some mailings.  (Those
> > who have an Apache ID often do not use the corresponding email
> > address, even on private lists, and it always makes determination of
> > binding votes all the more tricky.)
> >
> > Knowing who is on the PMC and who is the Chair is a different matter
> > and that is easily found, just as it is easy to determine who are the
> > committers on Apache OpenOffice.  In all of these cases, the Apache
> > ID is easy to determine even if it is not listed.
> >
> > I fail to understand why anonymity is important for any of these list
> > administration roles, even for private@ and security@.  From my
> > perspective, visibility comes with taking on those duties, especially
> > since there is unusual karma involved.  And having it recorded in a
> > public page that is kept current goes with the importance of having
> > the information current and readily available.
> >
> > I definitely agree this is a conversation for dev@.
> >
> > - Dennis
>
> It seems our changes to make the PMC FAQ page make more sense had some
> unintended, and based on this thread, some undesirable consequences.
> Maybe some solutions for this--

I agree that we need to keep the information public but also voluntary.

The world need to be able to reach our moderators, that is the reason for
owner@. Being a moderator does not mean you want to be on a public list,
that is and should be a personal decision.

With 2) you elegantly solve both.

> [1] Put moderators on the Project mailing list page.

It seems harder to change

> [2] Add a new cwiki page under Directory of Volunteers listing mailing
> list moderators (easier to change but that could be a problem)

moderators to add themself, just like we do with other listings.

If you decide to do 1 or 2 and also add the names/emails of the moderators
please make sure you have the consent of the people before adding them.

rgds
jan i