On 03/04/2010 05:16 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 17:36 -0500, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
Blah blah blah

I also propose to run the vote until Tue 2 Mar 2010. At that point I
will total the votes.

As of today we have 2 votes to release 0.6rc6.

So the release does not have enough votes as is to be released.

I note that there is concern over the comprehensive inclusion of license
headers in all our files.

My interpretation of the "ASF Source Header and Copyright Notice
Policy" ( http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html ) is that not
having them is not a blocker to a release:

In para "Source File Headers for Code Developed at the ASF" section 2.
It says: "Each source file should include the following license header".
I interpret the use of the word "should" to mean non mandatory, but
strongly recommended.

As a contrast "Applying the Apache License, Version
2.0" ( http://apache.org/dev/apply-license.html ) says "Apache projects
MUST include correct NOTICE documents in every distribution."

RFC 2119 (which is where I go for the meaning of these words in
technical requirements) says of "should" that there "may exist valid
reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item".

On the basis of your argument and citations above, I am happy to vote +1 on this candidate. My only concern was the RAT issues, everything else looked good.

Given all this (and that I'm frankly getting fed up of being responsible
for a release that hasn't changed any functional part in nearly 2
months) I would like one more positive vote so we can release 0.6 and
get on with preparing for 0.8.

I'm disappointed that more people haven't voted for the release (even on
the basis that they tested a functionally equivalent previous
candidate).

Andrew