On 4/11/18, 2:37 AM, "carlos.rov...@gmail.com on behalf of Carlos Rovira"
<carlos.rov...@gmail.com on behalf of carlosrov...@apache.org> wrote:

>Hi Alex,
>
>to resume,
>
>1) I agree with most of your mail. My main need is to use an API that let
>me add/remove/toggle styles easily (mine and whoever wants to deal with
>styling).
>So if you think my changes to UIBase are not ok and you want to ensure
>things are more as you have in mind, that's ok with me. But to avoid more
>investing time in discussion I prefer wait for you to make the changes in
>the UIBase classname branch. I assume that the way I use it though new
>methods like "addStyles" will not change, and so I can continue my work
>with the rest of components. So in this point I'll wait for you changes if
>is ok for you.

OK, I will make the changes after I finish up a few other things.

>2) About Jewel UIBase extension: I think is better to always extend UIBase
>than the Basic component as a rule. So I'll normalize the current Jewel
>components so Basic and Jewel will be siblings and extend from UIBase
>instead jewel extend basic and basic UIBase. Let me know if you agree with
>me that this is a better decision.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  I don't think Jewel needs its own
UIBase.  It should be able to use the one in Basic.

>3) about separation of styles in CSS, in this part I not agree. I don't
>think is just stylistic code decision, or for me that's not the main
>motivation behind. I think that setting things like, "display", width or
>height or padding in the component class is a bad design choice, since
>you're making that component coupled to that decisions, while here for me
>applys the "separation of concerns" concept.
>Why basic label sets word-wrap in the class instead of in the CSS Label
>rule as with the rest of its beads? For me that's the right place to do
>so.
>For me the class setups the HTML structure (i.e, span, div,...) and wire
>the needed JS, then the CSS should set up all styles and transition
>effects, since is how things works in HTML. I think things like
>"display:none" should be managed, not setting that as is, but to adding a
>class "visible" to the component class list. Is this more/less efficient.
>don't thing it makes any difference in performance, nobody here can said
>that is better through the myriad of browser implementations and its
>different performances, but most important in this case is separation of
>concerns and how we organize the code. since a CSS rule like ".visible"
>used for all components to set display to none or not, makes more reusable
>that code and more easy to deal with that, and then in JS you can make
>that
>and in SWF use a different code.

If it isn't stylistic, then you should be able to provide technical
reasoning including articles on the internet explaining why using styles
object is wrong or inefficient.  Every website I look at is using both
classes and the style object directly, even the WordPress generated
royale.a.o.  The APIs allow us to use the style object.  They allow us to
use classList and/or className.  What you want to do appears to be a
preference without any technical justification.  There is nothing in
Royale that prevents you from contributing layouts that use classes
instead of the style object.

If you want to discuss about why UIBase.visible=false sets display:none on
the style object, I guess we can have that discussion.  To me, using the
style object makes sense so you don't have to worry about other class
selectors with display styles taking precedence.

If you want to discuss about why Label sets wordWrap:none on the style
object, we can have that discussion as well.  To me, the reasoning is
similar.  You can't control the order of precedence in class selectors,
and the Basic Label should be single line and not have that messed with by
folks editing CSS.  You are welcome to create a different Label in Jewel
if you want.

Thanks,
-Alex