On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org> wrote:
>... As we have discussed we're more moving to define different features
> through the provisioning model. But we have no way to install such a
> feature at runtime....

Adapting the Crankstart code to be able to install things from
provisioning model at runtime shouldn't be too hard, and we could
generalize that so that our launcher just bootstraps what's needed to
do that.

I like the idea, and being able to additionally validate an instance
against a given provisioning model can be very useful (but that's a
slightly different story).

> ... We don't even have a format for this...

What do you think is needed on top of the provisioning model format?

> ...So first question is, can repoinit stuff be installed somehow at
> runtime?...

Right now repoinit code is interpreted by a RepositoryInitalizer [1]
triggered during repository initialization. But if you look at that
code it's just a thin wrapper using the RepoInitParser and
JcrRepoInitOpsProcessor which can be called in other ways as needed.