On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 12:29 AM Máirín Duffy <du...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> > I just couldn't use it for day-to-day communication. Not necessarily any
> > single thing, but lots and lots of fundamentals. How do I get a list of new
> > threads? How do I get a list of threads I've read but which have new
> > I don't want to be alerted on? How do I get to the next thread from the
> > *bottom* of a thread I just read? How can I search... usefully at all? My
> > point isn't to rag on HyperKitty, but I could definitely go on.
>
> Please do. Neal and I are starting up an effort. I reached out to Abhilash,
> the upstream lead, last night on the devel list and he was very responsive to
> this idea. He's already created a gitlab subproject for our efforts upstream.
>
> > I tried for a while to file suggestions and bug reports, but especially
> > after the extra two years it took to even get deployed, it was *very* clear
> > there were no resources for ongoing development from Red Hat, no significant
> > non-RH Fedora development, and no meaningful outside development either.
> > Basic things like https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues/64 didn't
> > even get *responses*. So, I stuck with my previous email client setup.
> >
> > And the thing is, it's *not just me*. Take a look at
> >
> > It is the 19th of the month. Not a single vote on our most busy mailing
> > list. The same is true for every other list I looked at. People just aren't
> > using this.
>
> Matthew, the target user for Hyperkitty isn't a devel-list reader.

Can you share more information about the target audience?  I read
through the non-install docs at hyperkitty.readthedocs.io which is
where the Gitlab project sent me.  I could only find statements about
the shortcomings with Pipermail the project was trying to fix.  I did
not see a target user statement or find one for Pipermail.

Thanks,

bex

> ~m

Brian (bex) Exelbierd | bexel...@redhat.com | b...@pobox.com
Fedora Community Action & Impact Coordinator
@bexelbie | http://www.winglemeyer.org