On 11. 05. 20 19:36, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
One strong argument for the proposed change is that, currently, an
abstention or recusal (TIL that's the proper term) is essentially
equivalent to a negative vote. (As long as we require +5 to pass,
any vote apart from +1 has the same effect.)

In a hypothetical case where three or four FESCo members were involved
in a change and decided to recuse themselves, a proposal gets a very
high bar of 5/6 or 5/7 votes. If one or two voting members are absent,
the change may not even pass even if*all*  non-abstaining members are
in favour.

If that is the only problem we are trying to solve here, I think we might very well create a concept of formal recusal and only lower the bar on such occasion.

--
Miro Hrončok