On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 7:01 AM, Florent Daigniere <
nextg...@freenetproject.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2016-10-30 at 09:37 -0700, Dan Roberts wrote:
> > At this point I consider the hosting platform to a blocker for
> > completing the website redesign.
>

> You shouldn't.

I'm a bit concerned that i18n support will be a significant chunk of work,
and it depends on this decision.

> > Shall I proceed for the moment assuming that we're using github
> > pages?
>

> Yes; We might put something in front, but that's irrelevant... we will
> proxy the content if need be.
>
> > If we abandon github pages, that frees me to identify and select a
> > more i18n friendly site generator, so I haven't put much more work
> > into the Jekyll version. At present the Jekyll version's English
> > translation is effectively complete, however I do think some content
> > curation will be necessary to better fit the new format.
>

> Can you push what you have so far somewhere?
>
> Florent

Sure, I had meant to do this a while ago:

https://ademan-laptop.github.io/freenet-website-redesign

(I don't allow my travel laptop to push to my primary github account)

There are a couple of known issues with the above link, and possibly a few
lurking issues due to different paths on github. I can resolve the low
hanging fruit tomorrow, and a couple of larger issues which I'll be hacking
on this week (paypal form, footer).

WRT to Hugo, Hugo looks fine to me, but it doesn't appear to be a
significant improvement for i18n support over Jekyll (I know you had
additional reasons for preferring it). If we're Ok with whole page
translations for content, however, I think I may as well proceed with i18n
on Jekyll for the moment.

We need to decide what to do with regards to the social media links
peppered throughout the design. Stripping them leaves the header and footer
looking fairly barren, and I think there may be some value in having some
extra social media presence (even if it's little more than a link back to
freenetproject.org ).

Thanks,
Dan