On Tue, 2016-11-01 at 01:05 -0700, Dan Roberts wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 7:01 AM, Florent Daigniere
> <nextg...@freenetproject.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2016-10-30 at 09:37 -0700, Dan Roberts wrote:
> > > At this point I consider the hosting platform to a blocker for
> > > completing the website redesign.
> >

> > You shouldn't.
>
> I'm a bit concerned that i18n support will be a significant chunk of
> work, and it depends on this decision.

I went ahead and have rolled out cloudflare on an under-used
subdomain... for us to test the setup. That's a free mitm-as-a-service
that was relatively effort-less to setup... and that will take care of
maintaining our certificates.

Try it out:
https://javadoc.freenetproject.org/
it's served from https://github.com/freenet/javadoc/

> > > Shall I proceed for the moment assuming that we're using github
> > > pages?
> >

> > Yes; We might put something in front, but that's irrelevant... we
> > will
> > proxy the content if need be.
> >
> > > If we abandon github pages, that frees me to identify and select a
> > > more i18n friendly site generator, so I haven't put much more work
> > > into the Jekyll version. At present the Jekyll version's English
> > > translation is effectively complete, however I do think some
> > content
> > > curation will be necessary to better fit the new format.
> >

> > Can you push what you have so far somewhere?
> >
> > Florent
>
> Sure, I had meant to do this a while ago:
>
> https://ademan-laptop.github.io/freenet-website-redesign
>
> (I don't allow my travel laptop to push to my primary github account)
>
> There are a couple of known issues with the above link, and possibly a
> few lurking issues due to different paths on github. I can resolve the
> low hanging fruit tomorrow, and a couple of larger issues which I'll
> be hacking on this week (paypal form, footer).

Do you have any plan to handle the bank-balance stuff? Or is that gone
in the new design?

> WRT to Hugo, Hugo looks fine to me, but it doesn't appear to be a
> significant improvement for i18n support over Jekyll (I know you had
> additional reasons for preferring it). If we're Ok with whole page
> translations for content, however, I think I may as well proceed with
> i18n on Jekyll for the moment.

I'm fine with Jekyll as long as we get github to run it for us (ie: that
you manage to use it without any additional plugin/specific
configuration).

> We need to decide what to do with regards to the social media links
> peppered throughout the design. Stripping them leaves the header and
> footer looking fairly barren, and I think there may be some value in
> having some extra social media presence (even if it's little more than
> a link back to freenetproject.org ).

I will defer to those that know better :)

Florent