On Sunday, February 26, 2017 10:27:00 PM Freenet wrote:
> x...@freenetproject.org:
> > On Saturday, February 25, 2017 08:23:00 PM Freenet wrote:
> >> What is stopping the funding from DuckDuckGo (received over a year ago)
> >> from being disbursed?
> >
> > Finding someone qualified to hire.
>
> We know what we want done (finally), we should be starting to open up
> applications for potential employees. The person with hiring authority
> should realize this is a priority especially if it allows our volunteers
> to get some of their tasks done by a paid worker.

And who is gonna review their code for whether it is actually good?
The only people who are familiar with the codebase enough to do that are the
volunteers.

> > While it is indeed frustrating to see no progress here, I would please
> > remind you that all of us are volunteers currently which means we have
> > very limited time - and that time is fully consumed by the fact that we
> > have to: - migrate the website
> > - migrate the 3 wikis
> > - migrate the bugtracker (I'm at it)
> > - migrate the mailing lists and mail
> > - do a Freenet release since there has not been one for half a year and we
> > must do one soon due to the SSL certificate expiring
> >
> > All of those are complex tasks, and thus it would be very unwise to now
> > start the even more complex task of hiring someone AND reviewing their
> > code for whether the quality is sufficient / they aren't ripping us of.
> >
> > Thus I would propose we wait until the server migration is finished before
> > we deal with the hiring.
>
> We have a nice amount of resources that can be used to help with all the
> tasks above

Same as above: Someone needs to review the result.
That's the volunteers again.

> the fact we are currently relying on volunteers to figure
> out who to hire is unacceptable.
> At the end of the day, the Freenet Project has a list of board members who
> should be deciding who the next employees are.

Perhaps this assumption of yours is a source of misconception:
The board members *ARE* volunteers as well.

Ian does not get paid AFAIK.
He's a full-time entrepreneur with something else.

So the time he has is very limited. And he hasn't worked on the codebase for a
long time AFAIK. So he likely cannot assist with the necessary code review.

> Volunteers cannot be trusted to commit to a project forever, looking at
> the state of our disarray, we might benefit more from hiring a project
> manager.

Most of our core volunteer team have been on the project for about a decade,
and are unlikely to leave any soon.
Please give the people some trust, they deserve it :)

We just need to be patient for a while.
The bugtracker migration is almost finished.
The website as well.
People are working on the Wiki stuff etc.
The old server can go away soon.

And don't forget: Those projects *ARE* delivery of new work. It's just that we
are getting it for free mostly!

> > Sorry but it would be absolutely impossible to find someone trustworthy
> > enough to hand them over $27500 right away in that timespan.
>
> I thought the months of debate resulted in we are paying for piece work,
> where payment is made upon successful pull request.

"Successful pull request" = someone has to review it first.
That's the volunteers...

> The migration of the wikis has been going on for years. The migration of
> the bugtracker and mailing list just started, maybe we should put those
> projects on hold.

We cannot put those projects on hold because our old server is severely
outdated and needs to disappear soon. The contract it is subject to isn't even
being offered by the hosting company anymore normally.