> But the coding involved in this project is not deep magic (god knows I
> wouldn't be able to do it if it were), so I am a little surprised at the
> lack of developers really willing to put down time. Somebody on Slashdot

There definitely is some magic involved, though not deep magic. There is a
whole body of terminology and assumptions that we've made up and that
newcomers are therefore totally unfamiliar with. This can be
intimidating. You also have to be able to handle the heated debates and
intermittently huge volume of pointless e-mail. Most people come to the
project wanting to make a few quick enhancements over the weekend but find
that despite their good intentions, you can't just jump in and weigh
connections based on ping time or add searching. You have to have
committment to get anything done.

I think the solution to the developer problem is to come up with a list of
enhancements that could be made without intimdate knowledge of the code
and terminology. I think a lot of people just don't know where to
start. One thing that people could work on is alternative transport
systems. That's mostly independent of the codebase and the different key
types, routing methodology, and other such things that people generally
get really confused about on a regular basis.