On Friday, 5. June 2009 21:59:46 Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > I already had that feeling about uservoice, but there I though "oh well,
> > it's not really integral for freenet". But the bugtracker is integral,
> > and relying on a proprietary solution for an integral part of freenet is
> > dangerous.
>
> Ideologically I agree, however we do need something hosted (mantis is a
> major pain to keep up to date manually and is in php so has security
> issues), and practically speaking MANTIS works but it is probably not the
> most helpful in terms of getting useful work done. We could get free
> hosting for Trac, but it may be tricky to import bugs as Trac doesn't have
> support for dependancies between bugs

What about Bugzilla?

- http://www.bugzilla.org/about/

It's what Gentoo uses to manage bug reports - and it definitely has enough
power - it's used to track packages for programs which leads to about 200.000
bugs or so :)

-> http://bugs.gentoo.org/report.cgi

Or having a managed server with a standard Linux distribution on it, so
updates don't hurt anymore?

I would have little problem with administering a Gentoo server. Do a weekly
"emerge sync; emerge -uDN world"
and the system keeps itself up to date.

Best wishes,
Arne

   - singing a part of the history of free software -
              http://infinite-hands.draketo.de