On Thu, 29 May 2014 04:57:14 -0400, Alix Pexton <alix.dot.pex...@gmail.dot.com> wrote:

On 28/05/2014 2:05 PM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 21:40:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 5/27/2014 2:22 PM, w0rp wrote:
I'm actually a native speaker of 25 years and I didn't get it at
first. Natural
language communicates ideas approximately.

What bugs me is when people say:

   I could care less.

when they mean:

   I couldn't care less.

and:

   If you think that, you have another thing coming.

when they mean:

   If you think that, you have another think coming.

Whats wrong with "If you think that, you have another thing coming."?

I've always understood it sort of like say your Father saying:

"If you think that [i.e. you can steal your little brother's ice cream
cone], then  you have another thing [i.e no ice cream, but maybe the
leather strap] coming."

I couldn't resist looking up this debate, and its quite a fiery one with no clear winner! There is no clear origin to the phrase and equal arguments for and against both forms.

If you think I'll let it go you're mad, you got another thing comin'

-Steve
        • Re: Scott Me... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Scott Me... Chris Nicholson-Sauls via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Scot... w0rp via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re:... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Simen Kjærås via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... safety0ff via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Regan Heath via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Scott Meyers' DConf 2... Jesse Phillips via Digitalmars-d-announce