On Friday, 19 December 2014 at 01:00:30 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
It's not a dethroner for the Unreal Engine 4, but I try my best
to get it into work. It's current name is VDP engine, but if you can come up with a better name I might change it. I still haven't
decided to make it open or closed source (if it'll be ever used
by any game that makes profit, I'd like to get some share from
it).

Noticed there's a question at Reddit (a bot submits all announce threads to Reddit):

https://www.reddit.com/r/d_language/comments/2pm2ba/2d_game_engine_written_in_d_is_in_progress/

Since others are mentioning commercial open-source models and that guy asked about using a more liberal license, let me mention another newer model. Develop most of the codebase in the open under a permissive license like MIT/BSD/Apache but keep some of the features or patches closed, particularly those that would most interest potential commercial licensees.

This is the model used by Android, the most successful open source project ever, where AOSP is released as OSS then the hardware and smartphone vendors add their proprietary blobs and patches before selling the entire software bundle. It's probably the best model if you want to be open source, get wide usage, and still have good commercial possibilities.