On Saturday, 30 January 2016 at 22:08:55 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
Nice. Slight layout problem: when the browser width is set less than the max line width, hovering will add a white bar to the right of the page, maybe 20px wide.

Yeah, I know. I want it to be the width of the container's container, but don't know how to express that in CSS.

So the document layout is basically:

<dl>
  <dt>
      <a>name</a>
  </dt>
  <dd>
      description
  </dd>
</dl>

The dt has a fixed width set to a fraction of the dl. The dl is a normal block element.

The prototype is normally clipped to the width of the dt, but on hover, I want it to break free and take the width of the dl, while staying in the same place otherwise.

I know quite a few css tricks... but I don't think I can actually do this without adding a script or something, so I just put an arbitrary fixed width on hover for now.