On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 at 18:22:21 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 April 2016 at 17:21:58 UTC, Jon D wrote:
You don't need to put anything on path to run utils from dub packages. `dub run` will take care of setting necessary envionment (without messing with the system):

dub fetch package_with_apps
dub run package_with_apps:app1 --flags args

These are command line utilities, along the lines of unix 'cut', 'grep', etc, intended to be used as part of unix pipeline. It'd be less convenient to be invoking them via dub. They really should be on the path themselves.

Sure, that would be beyond dub scope though. Making binary packages is independent of build system or source layout (and is highly platform-specific). The `dun run` feature is mostly helpful when you need to use one such tool as part of a build process for another dub package.

Right. So, partly what I'm wondering is if during the normal dub fetch/run cycle there might be an opportunity to print a message the user with some info to help them add the tools to their path. I haven't used dub much, so I'll have to look into it more. But there should be some way to make it reasonably easy and clear. It'll probably be a few days before I can get to this, but I would like to get them in the package registry.

--Jon