On Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 16:44:32 UTC, Jack Stouffer wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 May 2016 at 16:15:27 UTC, Jeremy DeHaan wrote:
I agree, but a precise heap scan should be the easiest part of this project. Rainer Schuetze has already implemented this and presented it at a dconf a few years ago(2013?). My plan is to use that since I know it works, and that frees up my time to focus on pretty much everything else.

I don't remember all the details, but I'm pretty sure that Rainer, or maybe someone else, was talking about how a precise GC is not completely possible in D because D has unions.

I am reading a paper on how one could use extra information about what was last assigned to a union in order to scan them precisely. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it looks like it could be done.

Not sure if it is something I can get to in the course of my project though. Scanning only unions conservatively is still pretty good.
  • GSoC 2016 - Precise GC Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: GSoC 2016 - Preci... Yura Sokolov via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: GSoC 2016 - P... Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: GSoC 2016... Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: GSoC ... jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: GSoC ... Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... jmh530 via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jeremy DeHaan via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Dmitry Olshansky via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... deadalnix via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... thedeemon via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Pham via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Leandro Lucarella via Digitalmars-d-announce