On 02/09/2017 01:08 AM, Joakim wrote:
I agree that "coercion," or more accurately the tyranny of the default,
is the dominant factor in language popularity even today, but you're
reaching when you apply that to web frameworks too.

Fair enough. It was just another example trying to make the point that "if you want to do X, then you have little choice but use Y" is, as you say, the dominant factor in language popularity. I can grant that the web framework examples are weaker examples.

D's problem on the client is that the popular platforms are still very
much tied to certain favored languages:

iOS - ObjC and Swift
Android non-game apps - Java
Android games - C/C++
Windows - C# or C++
Web - Javascript

Three of the four major client platforms all allow other languages (with
the fourth starting to with WebAssembly), but you're often fighting the
tide if you choose a non-default language so most don't bother.

That's a good way of explaining it, I like that.

We can make the dev experience more pleasant on those platforms, as I
believe has happened now that we support the MS toolchain on Windows,
but D is unlikely to become popular without a killer app that
demonstrates its suitability.  That's not coercion, but something we can
actually control.

I hope you're right, but I worry that even "killer app example" may not be enough, and that the lack of one may turn out to be just another red herring excuse for "why aren't using D". After all, I think vibe's approach to server development comes very close to "killer app" yet, far as I've seen, it doesn't appear to have proven a major win for D so far.

Then again, having D in the "my secret weapon" category has certain benefits, too, so I guess I can't be TOO sour ;)