On Thursday, 9 February 2017 at 08:02:23 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
The PR in question:

  https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/4745

It took me a while to find it, because you were using a pseudonym that I did not recognize. There are a number of frequent contributors to D using pseudonyms, and all have this issue with varying degrees.

This is a fair point in its own right, but it's completely orthogonal to the issue Nick is complaining about -- which is that after some initial interest and feedback, the PR just got left alone with no decision to accept or reject it, and no indication of why.

That's really a very unpleasant situation to face, regardless of whether the contributor in question is a well-known name or some complete anonymous stranger. I have a PR of my own that's been in this situation for (only!) a month now, and it's distinctly frustrating, particularly because it was a contribution that Andrei specifically called for on these forums:
https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5011

(... Andrei's request: https://forum.dlang.org/post/o1cqdb$245o$1...@digitalmars.com)

Contrast this with the experience I had the one time I submitted a (tiny, trivial) patch to rust: immediately after submitting the PR I got a message from their 'highfive' robot that included:

  * a friendly thank you for the PR;

* the GitHub ID of a contact who I could expect to be taking responsibility
    for the PR, who was also assigned as a reviewer;

* some helpful notes on how to add changes to the PR if requested;

  * a link to the contributor guidelines.

By contrast with a Phobos PR it's not clear who to contact if review or decision-making is not forthcoming.

There's clearly in part a scaling problem here (in terms of how many people are available in general, and in terms of how many people have expertise on particular parts of the library) but it also feels like a few simple things (like making sure every PR author is given a reliable contact or two who they can feel entitled to chase up) could make a big difference.
  • Questionnaire Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Questionnai... Ilya Yaroshenko via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Questionnai... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • two points Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: two... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... evilrat via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Jack Stouffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Jon Degenhardt via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • ... Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re:... Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce