On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 19:02:36 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 18:42:57 UTC, Seb wrote:
So, I guess your problem is the VERSION file on the dmd stable branch?

No, it's the VERSION file present if one checks out the v2.074.1 tag.

Tags are only made from the stable branch.

I suspect this doesn't show up in the official packages because IIRC the VERSION file is edited as part of the standard official-package build process.

Yes.

The point is here that this keeps happening. Assuming a VERSION file is considered necessary at all (I believe the intent is to support people using a tarball of the source rather than a git checkout), it shouldn't be possible for a release to be made without it containing the correct version number.

Well, as mentioned minor point releases have never been changed in the git repo before:

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commits/stable/VERSION

So I'm not sure how necessary it is.
Anyhow, the interesting bits are here:

https://github.com/dlang/installer/tree/master/create_dmd_release