On 2017-06-05 23:38, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:

Yup, my instinct is that if a VERSION file needs to exist at all it
should be created during the build process out of `git describe` output.

It's used by DMD to build the version, that is, the output of "dmd --version". The content of the VERSION file embedded in the executable using "import()". I don't think that's possible to do in any other way.

But the VERSION file should be generated when building and not be committed to the repository. For the archives I guess it needs to be generated and included in the archive since Git will not be available when building from an archive.

--
/Jacob Carlborg