On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 21:17:18 UTC, Seb wrote:
I understand the problem, but there's only so much Martin can do in his free time.

I'm not asking anyone to do the work. I'm asking for a clear recognition that this is a problem that should be fixed. I'm also asking for a clear recognition that the impact of this problem is greater now that there is likely to be a greater volume of downstream packaging of dmd.

Yep, but it's just a one-liner, right?
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/dmd#n32

Not the point.  Workaround != fix.

Well, as said before _until_ there's no one volunteering to do this, it won't happen. FWIW in the past sometimes even bumping the major version has been forgotten:
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/commits/master/VERSION

I'm aware of that. All the more reason to address the fundamental problem.

I pointed you to the release scripts, because these are the spots where an addition to automatically update the VERSION file could be inserted ;-)

Thanks for the heads-up, then. But I'm not sure that the best way to deal with this problem is to automate the process of patching the VERSION file. It would be better to find a way to avoid the need for the VERSION file altogether.

Obvious example: if you want to promote a release candidate to the final release, it's much nicer to be able to tag the same commit, than to need to add an extra patch just to update VERSION.