On Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 17:13:28 UTC, John Gabriele wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 February 2018 at 23:35:36 UTC, Seb wrote:
Someone revived the Expressive C++17 Coding Challenge thread today and I thought this is an excellent opportunity to revive my blog and finally write an article showing why I like D so much:

https://seb.wilzba.ch/b/2018/02/the-expressive-c17-coding-challenge-in-d

It's mostly targeted at beginners as I explain many basic D features, but maybe it's helpful for beginners looking into D.

Great article! Thank you!

Thanks for the typos. Fixed them.

But even then, I don't think you should discount or put off using std.csv as "cheating". I'm guessing std.csv handles things like quoted elements containing commas.

Yes.

I realize that maybe you're being pedagogic and wanting to show off D's File byLine and splitter,

Yes.

but I think the first thing a reader will think when they see you rolling your own csv reader by hand is that something must be wrong with D or it's ecosystem if you're resorting to this, and they'll run for the hills (especially in an intro article, *and* one in which you point out that the goal is *expressive* code).

Understood. Fair point.
I changed the motivation of why std.csv isn't used and added a warning that one shouldn't roll one's own CSV parser.

I immediately assume it's either old/incorrect, the language is very low-level only, or else maybe the language's std lib must be impoverished.

Haha. This could be Rust's or C++'s new slogan ;-)