On Wednesday, 31 July 2019 at 22:49:10 UTC, SashaGreat wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 July 2019 at 22:16:42 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
What is your goal? In my opinion, learning C is a waste of time in 2019 unless you have something specific in mind related to a job. C is mostly "fun with segmentation faults". Most of your time is not spent solving problems. If you want to be productive, choose D, Go, Rust, C++, or just about anything but C.

Interesting because you asked his goal and no matter what you pretty much just said to avoid C. So why the goal matters here?

"In my opinion, learning C is a waste of time in 2019 unless you have something specific in mind related to a job."

Kernel, embedded systems, LIBs (In fact there is libspng right now on front page of Reddit - /r/programming) that still uses C.

That's very specialized, but sure, some things are still written in C.

For example there is a lot of things with those languages (D or C++) like attributes: scope, ref, pure, share and so on that is useful but not for beginner.

You can write, say, a CGI app using D without having to get into all of that. I generally don't mess with attributes, templates, or any of that cognitively challenging stuff, and I've been writing D code for six years. Someone that has programmed before could work through Adam's cookbook or Mike's book easily.