On Thursday, 1 August 2019 at 03:59:23 UTC, Bert wrote:

But if you really want to learn to program I suggest you go with Haskell. You can do them all together too but Haskell is like learning Alien while D is learning German.

There's nothing wrong with Haskell if you want to take a deep dive into pure functional programming. I personally find Haskell to be more of a religion than a programming language. You can learn the same perspective from functional-first languages like Clojure, Scala, Ocaml, and F#.

The most common reason I hear for learning C is that you learn the foundation on which everything is built. And in one sense that's kind of true. It's portable assembly. The problem is that you don't learn much about programming, because C has so few features, and that limits you to (a) working on a narrow set of problems or (b) very slowly writing bug-ridden solutions to a wider group of problems.

A big part of programming is learning about all the different ways to attack problems. You can go a long way with D, unlike C or Haskell.