On Thursday, 1 August 2019 at 22:36:06 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 14:49 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote: […]
There's nothing wrong with Haskell if you want to take a deep dive into pure functional programming. I personally find Haskell to be more of a religion than a programming language. You can learn the same perspective from functional-first languages like Clojure, Scala, Ocaml, and F#.
[…]

Whilst I agree that most "this is the one true programming language" people are quasi-religious, programming languages are not: Haskell is a just a lazy, pure functional programming language, some adherents show quasi-religious fervour, just as some adherents of C++, Java, C, Go, Rust, D, etc. do.

I am not sure about F# (I do not know anything of it), but Clojure, Scala, and OCaml are very different from Haskell for various reasons, cf. lazy vs. eager, pure vs. impure. Haskell is a programming language worth learning for all programmers,along with Lisp, Prolog, and Erlang.

I'll bet (but I have no experimental data, just a hypothesis) that any D programmer that knows Haskell writes better D than a D programmer who doesn't know Haskell.

This is getting somewhat off the topic of this thread, so all I'll say is that I agree with the recommendation to learn Haskell, but I don't think a beginner would get enough exposure to various approaches to programming. I did not personally see large benefits from Haskell, but perhaps I should have stuck with it longer.