On Friday, 23 February 2018 at 13:55:44 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
And none of the features that you're talking about really make sense when you're dealing with NNTP or a mailing list. It's all just plain text.

Well, nntp actually supports basically all that stuff: you can do multipart/alternative for rich text and mime attachments for inline images, all kinds of stuff. I think it might even allow editing in the protocol, though propagating that to email users might be bizarre (still doable though).

So it isn't *actually* a technical limitation... though a lot of us might never use those features because we do interface with it as a plain text thing.