Just this weekend I was chatting about Thanksgiving travel experiences
with friends, and I was confronted with an example of interaction
design affecting group behavior.  I heard story after story of people
battling over the right/ability to recline their seats during the
flight, and the fairly extreme behavior of people who did NOT want
the seat in front of them to recline.

It seems to me that airplane interiors designed to fit in as many
seats as possible plus the potential interaction of the seat recline
is an experience engineered to turn the passengers into (passive)
aggressive territorial jerks.  I don't have a solution in mind, but
I'm sure that some good IxD work could be done to improve in-flight
behavior.

-Sarah Mitchell