Jim,

I think we totally agree on the apprenticeship model as a key approach to
training young designers. And I think we also agree on the use of design
patterns as a means of teaching/learning/building/sharing design knowledge.
In fact, design patterns can (and should) be seen as an effort to encode and
formalize the sort of situational design knowledge that is internalized by
design experts. Finally, I do take your point that the expertise you are
referring to is the ability to rapidly design successful solutions. I would
only add that this expertise is  (inter)dependent on, if not expertise, then
at least a level of exposure to, a critical mass of related design and
problem domains.

Robert.

Robert Reimann
IxDA Seattle